I Declare at My Own Risk (“Declar pe propria raspundere”), with its earlier forms Slumdog Roma and Two weeks, maximum one month, maybe six years, is a one-woman show based on my teenage diaries, growing up in a traditional Roma community, moving to a state-run children’s home, and later attending acting school in Bucharest and London.
The play was first developed in collaboration with Ramona Iacob and performed at International Romani Art Festival in Timisoara, Romania, in 2009-2010.
In 2011, I started collaborating with a new team and director David Schwartz, allowing the play to take a different form, and touring it in various cities, including in high schools and Roma communities.
(TRAILER) Declar pe Propria Raspundere (2011), by VeiozaArte
Starting with 2013-14, the play has been undergoing constant transformation. In 2016, a new scratch performance was held at ICR London, directed by Jamie Harper, with design by Moi Tan and light design by Janne Simila.
Most recently, I took I Declare to Cambridge, MA, USA, at Harvard University for Harvard FXB’s 5th Annual Roma Conference “Culture Beyond Borders: The Roma Contribution” (April 2017), and to Budapest, Hungary, at the “Roma Heroes” – 1st International Roma Storytelling Festival (July 2017).
(TRAILER for “Roma Heroes” – I. International Roma Storytelling Festival. 2017 Budapest, Hungary)
REVIEWS & Media Coverage
- ‘Very occasionally I come across someone who is like a rising star, a force that is bright, unstoppable and has an impact on anyone who sees it. I saw Alina Şerban’s one-woman-show in Bucharest and it was amusing, concise, and unsentimental. It felt authentic and it avoids moralizing about the rights and wrongs of the Roma situation.’ –Rupert Wolfe-Murray, Huffington Post
- ‘A troubling metaphor for all forgotten children’ –Judith Sibony, Le Monde
- “Elle n’avait jamais imaginé jouer un jour Shakespeare en anglais, étudier à New York ou monter sur scène pour jouer la pièce qu’elle a écrite comme elle le fait cette semaine à Bucarest. Pourtant, Alina Serban, jeune actrice roumaine rom a réalisé ses rêves malgré les discriminations et le manque de moyens” – (VIDEO) A. Teodorescu, Q. Leboucher, APFTV
- “Cred că în ultima vreme s-a întâmplat să merg la teatru fără mari aşteptări. Probabil că au început să îmi placă prea mult alt fel de reprezentări sau poate am văzut prea multe spectacole care m-audezamăgit. Ceea ce a făcut ca Declar pe proprie răspundere să mă facă să mă răzgândesc din nou a fost naturaleţea confesiunii. Mi-a adus aminte de un alt foarte cunoscut travaliu de asumare a identităţii şi de cât de anevoios şi simplu e să fii sincer.” – Eliza Zdru, LiterNet
- Iulia Popovici, Observator Cultural
- Robert Balan, Romania Libera
- Oana Stoica, Dilema Veche
- Interview (ro) with Lucian Stefanescu and David Schwartz, Radio Europa Libera
- Interview (ro) with Valentina Iancu, CriticAtac / Observator Cultural
- Interview (en) with Rachel Hart, Open Society Foundations